Certass MTC >
The Certass MTC is only available to existing Certass members or companies joining the
Certass Certification Scheme.
The qualification is to evidence a site operative’s on-going competence and to ensure that they keep up to date with both industry practice and Building Regulations. The MTC assessment must therefore be carried out every 3 years. The qualification has been set to 3 years to fall in line with Building Regulation changes and technological innovations within the glazing industry.
To be assessed against the MTC requirements the site operative must >
> Be a minimum age of 19 years or over.
> Have worked in the relevant area being assessed against for 2 years out of the last 5.
NOTE: If the site operative does not meet the requirements above they will need to obtain a suitable NVQ.
The MTC assessment is carried out in the following way >
> A short knowledge assessment (40 question multiple choice quiz) is carried out online. You will be able to print your MTC Knowledge certificate immediately upon successful completion.
> An onsite observation of your work, including discussion with the assessor.
> A telephone discussion with the assessor.
On successful completion of the MTC assessment, you will be issued with >
> An MTC assessment certificate
> An MTC skills card
The cost per operative for MTC Standard are >
- £175 + VAT^* for registration for single qualification (Surveying OR Installation)
- £195 + VAT^* registration for Dual qualification (Surveying AND Installation)
- Free Photo ID MTC skills card
MTC Standard Information
The MTC standard card last for 3 years at which point it must be renewed, if the operative is transferred to MTC Continuum without an additional upfront fee.
The cost per operative for MTC Continuum are >
- The Certass MTC Continuum card is annually renewable.
- MTC Continuum is a site operative charge option- not linked to a specific individual, the MTC card is transferable at no extra cost following new site operative’s successful MTC assessment.
- To transfer the MTC Continuum card to a new site operative the old MTC card (for site operative who has left your company) must be returned to Certass.
- To transfer to your new site operative avoiding new registration fee, there must be a continuous DDM monthly payment in place with Certass.
- All site operatives must refresh their Building Regulations knowledge by undertaking a knowledge assessment and have their installation work observed every 3 years.
- £100 + VAT ONE OFF^* registration per site operative
- £3.75 + VAT^* per month per site operative
- Free Photo ID MTC skills card
MTC Continuum Information
For Sole Traders
A lower one-off registration fee followed by a low monthly fee which we’ll simply add on to your direct debit. No more large fees!
For companies with several site operatives
You pay a one-off registration fee for the number of qualified site operatives, followed by a low monthly fee per site operative. If one of your site operatives leaves the company and you hire a replacement , simply continue to pay the monthly fee, return the old site operatives MTC card to us and we will not charge you another registration fee*. To protect your company’s compliance with us, we will carry out a new MTC assessment on your new site operative at one of your installations.
Already paid your MTC fee upfront?
Don’t worry you can easily transfer to the Certass MTC Continuum when your existing MTC card expires without incurring any extra costs.
*Certass reserves the right to charge a new registration fee if more than 15% churn of site operatives over a 5 year period.
Certass NVQ >
Certass can deliver the following
- IQ Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Fenestration Installation
- IQ Level 3 NVQ Certificate in Fenestration Surveying
Fees are £1900+VAT^* per candidate
(price includes the MTC skills card).
NOTE: Certass does not offer funded qualifications. Speak to a local college to see if funding is available for your circumstances.
Training & Assessment >
The changes made by the DCLG to Competent Person Scheme operator licenses have highlighted the need for glazing sector qualifications to be higher on this industry’s agenda.
The new operator licenses require installing companies to evidence the competence of its workforce against National Occupational Standards (NOS). Certass has been working closely with qualification authorities and Government to ensure that the proposed Minimum Technical Competencies (MTC) take a common sense assessment that does not place a burden on industry and allows us to evidence the quality of the people working in our sector. Competent Person Scheme’s must ensure that each member company joining a Competent Person Scheme can demonstrate they have enough technically competent staff to operate its business.
This can be achieved either by:
- Recognised qualifications
(Level 2/3 NVQ qualification as defined in PAS2030)
- MTC Assessment
(Minimum Technical Competence)
Certass will ensure member company’s staff is competent by either:
- Checking the employees training records for recognised NVQ qualifications
- Undertaking an MTC assessment of the required company’s site operatives
Glazing Sector >
The glazing sector has developed an MTC based on NOS, including requirements to be met for both Installers and Surveyors.
Certass has developed a Customised Qualification (QCF) in association with Industry Qualifications and other Competent Person scheme operators in our industry sector.
Required site operatives for the glazing sector being:
- All surveyors in the member company
- Minimum 1 person from each fitting team in the member company
Insulation Sector >
The insulation sector will be assessed against the requirements in PAS2030 as described here